How to Make a Circle Skirt

December 05, 2013

This is one of the easiest skirts to make in my opinion because you barely need to sew! I love the shape that it gives you because of the fullness of the fabric. I know there are a lot of tutorials out there on how to make this but this is the way I do it. If you want to learn how to make a circle skirt, keep reading below.

What you will need:

  • Stretchy fabric of your choice
  • Marking utensils (i.e. chalk, fabric marker, etc.)
  • Measuring tape
  • Thread


1. Take your piece of fabric and fold it once lengthwise ("hot dog way"). Fold it again widthwise ("hamburger way"). You should now be left with 4 layers of fabric.



2. Determine the radius of your waist. This requires a bit of math!

For your waist measurement (P), I would suggest you to use a value that is 1 inch smaller than your regular waist measurement so that the skirt will fit nicely. I found that it was loose when I used my exact waist measurement because the fabric stretched out.

Ex. my waist is 25 inches, so I would substitute 24 inches into the equation below.

If it is still too loose after you sewed everything together, it can be fixed at the end.
3. Draw a quarter circle at the specific corner shown with an arrow below using the radius you calculated in step 2. It is crucial that you draw from this corner! To ensure you are marking from the correct one, both edges extending from this corner should be folds, not raw edges.


4. Figure out the length of the skirt you want to make. Add your skirt length measurement together with your radius measurement to draw a second quarter-circle onto your fabric (i.e. r + skirt length) (add seam allowance if necessary). Repeat the circle drawing in step 3.
5. Cut on the lines you made! Open up your fabric and you should get a big donut shape.

6. Time for the waistband! Since we are using stretchy fabric, the fabric acts as an elastic. Cut out a rectangular strip with a width of 3 inches and a length of your waist measurement + 0.5 inch seam allowance. Fold the rectangle lengthwise and iron it flat. Sew the two ends of the waistband together.

EDIT: if you find that your fabric is not "stretchy" enough, feel free to add a piece of elastic into the waistband in this step!

Pin the raw edges of the waistband on the outer side of the skirt (make sure the INNER side of your waistband is on top of the OUTER side of the skirt). Sew the two layers together. While sewing these layers together, stretch the waistband fabric slightly (like how you would sew an elastic on).



7. Flip the waistband around and tada, you're done!
  • If you want a finished look, you can hem the bottom of the skirt. However, because it is a circle shape, folding the ends in and sewing may cause the fabric to bunch up and not lay flat.
  • If the waistband is too loose, flip the skirt inside out and sew the sides of the waistband inwards more to shrink down the size. The shape of the skirt will hide the creases.

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. This is a very cute skirt! I hope you can do more tutorials in the future

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be trying this tutorial in my spare time! Really want to make myself a skirt (:

    Yuen @ The Craziest Paradigm - a 'lil bit of rust & stardust

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome, and you make it look so easy! Fabulous tutorial :) Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.stephanieziajka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made one of these the other day! Definitely one of the simplest things to make :)

    xox greta
    flourish-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great DIY, I love circle skirts & I would so want to make my own skirt! Thank you for this DIY! :)

    www.callmemaddie.com
    Win a $150 gift card to spend on Jollychic.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stop it Joyce! How in the world?!!!!! You lost me at step 1....haha!!! I wish I could make this DIY skirt! It is so friggin cute! Keep these awesome DIY ideas coming girl...slowly but surely I will learn:)! Happy New Year <3!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! You got mad skill girl! Following from the lovely thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You made this so easy! Thanks for sharing.

    www.thepreppylittlepolkadot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete