Summer Heat Wave

July 18, 2013

Not too long ago, the Night Market came to my city. There were a lot of booths selling delicious street food; the only problem was that most of them were priced too high. I was planning to wear something nice there but I realized that it would be too crowded and hot, so I stuck to a solid colour t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. With the numerous grills, woks, and stoves cooking away there, I came home with clothes and hair smelling like smoke and food.

The most prominent smell at a night market is the obvious stinky tofu (臭豆... my knowledge of Chinese characters is very limited... thank you Google Translate ^_^). There were also meat skewers, takoyaki, fishballs, seafood, noodles, tornado chips, and much more. My friend and I shared some delicious 雞蛋仔 (direct translation: little chicken eggs). It's kind of like an egg puff; they are made from batter cooked to look like what the name implies.




Other than that, we didn't get anything else to eat. There were performances, eating contests, charities, sport events, and several companies advertising their products. I'm glad I got out of the house. I stayed at home for almost 2 weeks studying my butt off for my summer midterms. Why did I take summer school? I don't even feel it will make my future university semester loads any lighter.


My summer round-up of movies so far consists of:
  1. Now You See Me
  2. Monsters University
  3. Despicable Me 2
Of all the cartoons I can remember, minions is at the top of my list for the cutest North American characters (cause you know, nothing beats Doraemon). The creators of this character are genius! I got that toy with my sister at McDonald's on the day we watched Monsters University. McDonald's sales are probably skyrocketing this summer because of these toys.

There's recently been a heat wave- no, heat tsunami in my area and it is SO HUMID. There's something different about the humidity here in comparison to what I've felt in Asia but I can't pinpoint what it is. This is the one time I wish it would rain so that the temperature would be brought down. I'm those type of people who sweat a lot too. Below are my summer NEEDS in order to survive.



  1. Sunscreen (Aveeno Active Naturals): even though I get extremely itchy once I use it, I force myself to use it anyways. This brand hasn't been working too well for me- I've already used L'oreal, Neutrogena, Banana Boat, Avon, Shiseido, and Coppertone :(
  2. Oil blotting sheets (Clean & Clear Oil Control Film): my face can get quite shiny in the summer
  3. Water bottle (Kleen Kanteen): bright pink + hydration
  4. Body spray (Bath & Body Works Fragrance Mist, White Citrus): ... you know, to keep me smelling nice
  5. Deodorant (I'm not going to describe this): to make me smell even nicer
  6. Hairties (Sasa in Hong Kong): since I've been growing out my hair for the past year, it has been a burden to have in the heat so I've been styling a ponytail almost everyday
  7. Bobby pins (From everywhere): I hate having my bangs in my face especially when I sweat because that's when it sticks to my face...
  8. Sunglasses (Sears): I'm guilty of not using this enough but I should in order to protect my eyes!
(Notice how I don't have a hat up there? My baseball cap is too ugly to show and my fedora does absolutely nothing to protect me from the sun)

So until the heat wave passes, I'll be chilling in my room... studying.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. The night market looks like lots of fun! so much good food:) Ahh I really need to watch those movies too. There are so many movies on my list right now. And good luck with your summer midterms!

    ReplyDelete